When batteries are not properly maintained they can die, no matter how recently you purchased one! So it is important to properly maintain your batteries, in order to get your money’s worth.
Here are some of the reasons for why batteries die prematurely:
- Deep discharges, which occurs when you leave the battery running over night; ex: when you leave the lights on in your car.
- Using the wrong sized battery.
- Overcharging, or under-hood heat, which causes loss of electrolytes.
- Not charging your battery enough.
- Corrosion, which is caused by dirty, dusty and wet batteries
- Going six months or longer without charging your battery.
It’s important to properly maintain your battery, especially when it’s in storage. The last thing you want is for your battery to die at the wrong place at the wrong time!
For more information about battery life, and how to maintain, please give Batteries Unlimited a call at 508-752-8777.